Tuesday, November 09, 2004

AP Text of Ashcroft's Resignation Letter; Reuters Transcript of Ashcroft's Resignation Speech at the Friars' Club Roast

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 9, 2004
Text of the resignation letter, dated Nov. 2 and released Tuesday, from Attorney General John Ashcroft to President Bush:

Dear Mr. President:

Nothing in my life compares to the high honor of serving America as Attorney General in your administration.

The cause of justice is indeed a serious calling. Americans have been spared the violence and savagery of terrorist attack on our soil since September 11, 2001.
During the last four years our violent crime rate has plunged to a 30-year low. Under your "Project Safe Neighborhoods" the number of gun crimes has fallen to its lowest level in modern history. Drug use among America's young people has fallen and continues to fall significantly.
Corporate integrity has been restored with the work of your Corporate Fraud Task Force. As a result United States markets have reinforced their position as the trusted allocators of the world's capital resources.
Thank you for your leadership which has made these and many other justice-related achievements possible.
The demands of justice are both rewarding and depleting. I take great personal satisfaction in the record which has been developed. The objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved. The rule of law has been strengthened and upheld in the courts. Yet, I believe that the Department of Justice would be well served by new leadership and fresh inspiration. I believe that my energies and talents should be directed toward other challenging horizons.
Therefore, I humbly state my desire to resign from the office of United States Attorney General.
It would be my pleasure to structure the announcement of this resignation and the ensuing transition in conjunction with you so that your administration and the cause of justice are served optimally.
I have handwritten this letter so its confidentiality can be maintained until the appropriate arrangements mentioned above can be made.
I am grateful to you for the profound honor of serving under your clear, principled leadership.
May God continue to bless, guide, and direct you and your family as you lead America forward in freedom.

Most Sincerely,
John Ashcroft

Transcript of Ashcroft's Resignation Speech at the Friars' Club Roast in His Honor
By REUTERS
Published: November 9, 2004
Transcript of Ashcroft's Resignation Speech at the Friars' Club Roast:
Thank you for that fine and humorous introduction, Jimmy Kimmel. I think you took some...Liberty...with your assessment of my time as Attorney General but I won't hold you in...contempt...Everything's funny in the comedy sector, right?...That's what I always say.
Nothing in my life compares to the high honor of serving America as Attorney General in your administration. Neither my marriage to my lovely wife Janet, nor the birth of our three lovely children Martha, John and Andrew. They know that. They understand...is this thing on?
The cause of justice is indeed a serious calling. Americans have been spared the violence and savagery of terrorist attack on our soil since September 11, 2001. Rudy Giuliani, who's here as my guest tonight is perhaps the only one in this room...guilty...of a crime against America. He's made a...killing...from the sales of his book Leadership...is this thing working?
During the last four years our violent crime rate has plunged to a 30-year low. Under the President's "Project Safe Neighborhoods" the number of gun crimes has fallen to its lowest level in modern history. Drug use among America's young people has fallen and continues to fall significantly. The press questioned our numbers and they've got a point. We had to fight with the Census Bureau to redefine "young people" as nine- to eleven-year-olds and to classify all minority juveniles as adults. You know how the minorities love the Mary Jane and the Crack Pipe, and those Puerto Rican kids grow up so fast, with the mustaches and the chains, they're adults at 12 if you ask me...come on, people, I kid because I love...no? Ok, moving on. The point is that technically, with the new rules drug use among youngsters is on the decline.
Corporate integrity has been restored with the work of our Corporate Fraud Task Force. As a result United States markets have reinforced their position as the trusted allocators of the world's capital resources...stop laughing, you guys! I haven't got to the punch line. Cheney and Cheech Marin! Quiet down, you wrote this part, please, I'm trying to get through it...as I was saying we've restored corporate integrity...Dick! For the love of...
The demands of justice are both rewarding and depleting. I take great personal satisfaction in the record which has been developed. The objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved...can I get my monitors up a little? Thanks... The rule of law has been strengthened and upheld in the courts. Yet, I believe that the Department of Justice would be well served by new leadership and fresh inspiration. I believe that my energies and talents should be directed toward other challenging horizons.
Don't think of this as the end. It's a new beginning. A dawning. I feel like I'm seventeen again. I want to run, I want to paint, I want to swing from a tree. I've got so much life to live. Janet and I are planning on renewing our wedding vows. I'm going to volunteer. Maybe the ACLU, maybe be a Big Brother. I want to give blood, take up roller blading. There's a flower arranging course and a seniors pilates class down at the Y. The kids are talking about sending Janet and me on an Elderhostel trip through the former Yugoslavia. Maybe I'll find out what the...Milosevic...is all about...
Thanks so much, my time's up. Thanks for having me. Alan King, you were terrific. For a Jew you were really funny. I mean it.